HOUSTON, TX — April 7, 2022 — (NOTICIAS NEWSWIRE) — Great Age Movement recently announced that this year’s Great Age Movement Award recipient will be Irma Galvan, self-made entrepreneur, and owner of Irma’s Original Restaurant. Galvan was chosen to receive the charity’s highest honor for her exemplary leadership as an active senior who is embracing her best life through career, contributions to Houston, and compassion for family and community. A recipient of the James Beard Award and recently a guest judge on Top Chef Houston, Galvan will be the first Latina to be honored with this award.
The award will be presented to Galvan at Great Age Movement’s 4th Annual Jazz Brunch, a special celebration of Houston’s dynamic and active seniors. The event will benefit Great Age Movement’s campaign to install a second senior playground in a high-density area of Houston as well as their wellness programs for seniors online and at The Health Museum.
Sponsored by United Airlines, the event will take place on Sunday, April 24, 2022, from 10:30 am to 1 pm at The Health Museum, located at 1515 Hermann Dr., Houston, TX 77020. Additional event sponsors include: Corporate Travel Management, Admiral Transfer & Rigging, Inc., Pura Medical Aesthetics, WellMed Medical Management, Inc., New You Wellness Center, Modern Luxury Houston, and Friendly Faces Senior Care. For more information on the Jazz Brunch, visit thegreatage.org/events.
Great Age Movement’s programs serve to promote health and wellness for seniors. The Jazz Brunch will celebrate the organization’s achievements in the past two years – the annual event was placed on hold due to the pandemic. Successes include the 2021 installation of Houston’s first senior playground for public use at St. Dominic Village in the Texas Medical Center. This installation was made possible by community support and a milestone for the Great Age Movement.
They will also commemorate the successful launch of a new online health & wellness program for seniors at home initiated at the beginning of the pandemic. Offered in partnership with The Health Museum, the virtual program focuses on senior lifestyle, providing a range of topics from health tips to fitness routines and reaching thousands of seniors every week.
«Exercise is essential, especially as we age. It’s important for seniors to incorporate activities that help improve mental stimulation, strength, balance, coordination, and flexibility to support their daily routine. At the Great Age Movement, we see firsthand the positive effects of the Senior playground workouts as well as our virtual and in-person fitness programs at The Health Museum,» said Fritz McDonald, Founder and President of the Great Age Movement. «For many seniors, COVID-19 isolation had a big impact on their activity level. Launching our digital lab series has helped thousands of seniors stay active at home. We look forward to rolling out a second Senior playground and continuing our program series, with ongoing community support.»
Great Age Movement’s goals for the next year include:
- Installing a second senior playground in a high-density area of Houston;
- Producing new livestream shows for season three of our online program for seniors, «Great Age Movement @ Home Lab Series with The Health Museum”
- Expanding their senior mobile workout classes at The Health Museum and at the first playground in The Texas Medical Center.
Previous Great Age Movement Award recipients include:
- Gordon Bethune, former CEO of Continental Airlines;
- Welcome Wilson, Sr., Texas real estate mogul;
- Carmen Dell’Orefice, world’s oldest supermodel;
- Liliane Montevecchi, Tony award-winning actress, singer, dancer, and cabaret star;
- Mercedes Ellington, award-winning Broadway choreographer;
- Buzz Aldrin, U.S. Astronaut;
- Joanne King Herring, American socialite, diplomat, philanthropist;
- DeEtte Sauer, multi-Gold medalist at Senior Olympics;
- Carolyn Farb, hc, First Lady of Philanthropy; and,
- Roderick Page, former U.S. Secretary of Education under George W. Bush.
Please join Great Age Movement for a fantastic brunch in the middle of Houston’s very own Smithsonian Affiliate, The Health Museum, and catered by Chef DeeDee Coleman, award-winning chef of Southern Cooking Girl Creations. The silent and live auction items include multiple first-class domestic and international Polaris United Airlines tickets, health & wellness packages, destination homes, art, jewelry, and much more. Guests will enjoy a memorable event complete with a special performance by Tianna Hall & The Houston Jazz Band. Your support fuels Great Age Movement’s programs for seniors giving them social opportunities in public spaces.
You are invited to support and contribute to the vision of providing innovative indoor and outdoor community opportunities for seniors by purchasing tickets and tables for the brunch event. Table sponsorships and individual tickets are available at the following levels:
- $50,000 Great Age Sponsor – Naming Rights to 2nd Senior Playground
- $10,000 Platinum Age Sponsor – Name On One Unit with Multi-Fitness Stations at 2nd Senior Playground
- $5,000 Golden Age Sponsor – Name On One Fitness Station or Bench at 2nd Senior Playground
- $2,500 Silver Age Sponsor – Name on One Memorial Brick at 2nd Senior Playground
- $1,500 New Age Sponsor
- $500 Individual Gold Age Ticket – Name on a Memorial Brick at 2nd Senior Playground
- $250 Individual Silver Age Ticket
- $175 Individual New Age Ticket
For more information, sponsorships, and tickets, please visit thegreatage.org/events.
About Great Age Movement
Great Age Movement, a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization, launched in 2017 with a mission to develop innovative senior community programs in green spaces and museums focused on health and wellness, fun, socialization, and learning.